The Judge Advocates Association was founded in 1943 by members of the Army's Judge Advocate General's Department. Membership was open to those "who have served or are now serving with honor in the Judge Advocate General's Department under War Department orders."
The founding mission of the organization was to:
"promote good fellowship, preserve and strengthen the fine friendships that have found root in our service as Army Judge Advocates, uphold the honor and dignity and promote the prestige of our department, and by every legitimate and ethical means to be mutually helpful not only during our military service but also in our civilian affairs in the post-war days to come."
Read the JAA's by-laws